Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hair

Okay, so Grace’s hair is impossible. It’s super thin, wispy, and tangles if you look at it the wrong way. Also, 75 % or more of it likes to naturally fall right in front of her eyes. For a long time, that 75 % was cut into bangs that started way back on the top of her head. (It created sort of a mullet look. Ugh.) So, I decided to grow some of the bangs out. Next problem: hair in the face. If I ever managed to get Grace to let me pull it up into an elastic or clip, it would last for about three minutes before she decided she didn’t like it an yanked it out. Consequently, she had extremely impaired vision for several months. She also developed something that looked like a nervous twitch. When she wanted her hair out of her face she would just tilt her head back a bit and shake it side-to-side.

Well, I finally got sick of the hair in the face and chopped it all back to bangs again. Now, I’ve cut hair before. I am pretty good at it. But when the subject won’t hold still, it’s an entirely different story. Last summer I tried to give Grace a “trim” and ended up cutting her hair to about her ears. I cried. She had the most beautiful baby curls that got chopped as I kept trying to even out the “trim.” So after I cut Grace’s hair this time, and it looked awful again, I decided it was time to visit the experts.
I took Grace to the hair salon last Saturday, and she did so well! It was awesome. She held still. She was calm. And her hair doesn’t look like a disaster anymore! Hurray!
They thinned out her bangs and added some subtle layers.

This is Grace noticing the suckers at the front desk. “I want purple! Purple’s my faborite!”
I dont think I'll try to cut her hair again myself for several years. It's just so much less stressful to have a pro do it.

1 comment:

Misty Moncur said...

How did you get her to sit still!? I took Kammy in a few weeks ago and she screamed and screamed. I gave the girl as big a tip as I could afford and left. But I didn't want to give too big a tip because her hair still looked awful. Last week Kammy gave herself a trim right over her ear. So..I fixed it myself. I was so scared cutting off that much hair, but miracle of miracles, it looks better now than before when I had to tip a million bucks. I just had to let her put on all my makeup while I cut....

I linked over from the RS site. You blog is really cute. Good luck this week with the new baby.

Amy's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones