Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Little Sahara

A few weeks ago we went camping at the sand dunes, or Little Sahara. When my brother first suggested the dunes I thought it sounded dreadful. I don’t like the desert much, or the heat, or the blazing sun when there is no place to get a little shade. I had images of starving people struggling through vast rolling deserts through biting winds.
Well, to my absolute delight, it was not what I expected. There were trees, the weather was perfect (quite cool with scattered showers) and the sand was so wonderful we walked barefoot through camp the entire time. Heaven!!! As we sat around the campfire I kept burying my feet into the sand and then letting it seep through my toes. It really felt more like the beach than a desert.
In the middle of the night I couldn’t sleep so I got out of the tent and was standing near the fire pit for a while when all of a sudden I saw a small movement right next to my leg. I glanced down and was startled to see this smallish animal. I jumped and it scampered away a little, but not far. I realized it was a coyote. It was either really small or a baby. It watched me for a second and then scampered around the campsite for a while before running off. It was so awesome. I don’t think I’ve ever been that close to a wild animal before.


Found some soldiers that got left behind.
Grace had fun in the rain.
Everyone had a blast jumping off some of the dunes.


I was surprised that all the kids could climb so well. And they kept up with us really well too!



Here we all are heading out. We all wished we could stay longer, and I definitely want to go back again!

2 comments:

Jared and Laura said...

Cute pics, looks like a really fun outing.

Misty Moncur said...

That looks so fun!

Amy's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones