Monday, June 29, 2009

25 Things I have learned after being sick for about 14 weeks:


(This is about the worst I looked while I was in the hospital. I looked like I came out of a concentration camp or something.)

1. I really take being healthy for granted.
2. Doctors don’t know everything.
3. The flu swab hurts worse than a pap smear. (I didn’t have the flu.)
4. The medical procedure TEE (Trans-esophageal Echocardiogram) was created by the devil.
5. A fever over 105 will NOT necessarily fry your brain.
6. Infectious Endocarditis is an infection in the heart valve.
7. A PICC line is like an IV, only it uses a deeper vein and is long enough that it runs up your entire arm, around your shoulder, and down towards your heart.
8. PICC lines don’t hurt as much as a plain IV but are just about the most annoying thing when you are a mom. Or even if you’re not a mom, I bet.
9. Fevers are actually a BIG deal.
10. A patient knows better than a doctor that something is wrong with their body.
11. “Emergency” surgeons are not artists.
12. I’m kinda funny when I’m drugged. After I woke up from surgery, I still had my breathing tube in. I demanded a pen and paper so that I could communicate with the tube still in because “Communication is good.” Ricky saved all the papers I wrote on. (Of course I remember NONE of it.) Some of my other favorites are: “We’ll pass notes.” “I know I’m emotional.” “I just found out that I missed a whole day.” “How do I cough in this thing?” “I’m so hungry.” “MUCUS!” “Did I push a button?” “SUCTION!” “You don’t have to poke me.” “It’s so noisy everyone.” “I wasn’t trying to be impatient, only helpful.” “Can I have O2?” “Chill out, I’m okay.” “What did you ask me to do last time when I freaked out?” “I want to lay on your hand (to Ricky).”
13. Not seeing my kids for 2 weeks is just about the loneliest thing I’ve ever experienced.
14. Life goes on with or without you.
15. Children can and do get along just fine without their mothers.
16. Babies really don’t forget their mothers after not seeing them for 2 weeks.
17. It’s A LOT harder to recover from open-heart surgery with kids than without them.
18. The Porter Way Ward is full of great cooks.
19. Dinner always tastes better when someone else cooks it.
20. Fiction: Grace “will try ALL the new foods people bring over for dinner!” Fact: Grace is a very picky eater.
21. Ricky makes an AMAZING mother/homemaker.
22. I don’t really care that the new scars on my torso look like a game of hangman. (One long vertical scar for the hanging thing, what’s that called? And 6 short horizontal scars below for the letter spaces.)
23. The human body is remarkable. Cut it open, tinker with the ticker, sew it back up, and in a matter of weeks, it’s all as good as new. (Mostly.)
24. My time is much better spent laughing with my children than folding the laundry.
25. Even though I might not understand, EVERYTHING Heavenly Father has me go through is for my own good and will make sense some day.

1 comment:

Sarie said...

AMY!!!!! I'm so glad you're ok. You find humor in every situation--- I cannot believe the horror you must have had to endure! That sounds like a ... bad infection. I hope I don't ever get it.

Love ya.
xo

Amy's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones