Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Motherly Instincts?

Why is it that mothers are so affected by their children’s cries? Well, I know the answer to that. I know that we are biologically engineered to have an instinctive desire to care for and protect our offspring. But what about whining? Why is it that I feel so bothered deep down inside whenever Grace whines? Even when it is annoying and stressing me out, and even when I know it is about something ridiculous? For example, tonight she doesn’t want to go to bed. I know she’s not hurt. I fed her dinner, so I know she’s not hungry. Her diaper is dry. She is totally okay, but I still feel this sense of frantic motherly instincts whirling up inside me when she starts to cry, “I don’t want to go to bed! I want Mommy! I’m just sad! I want more milk! Mom, I’m sad! I want a song!” (Some of these things she is actually crying out at this very moment.) Whatever her reason or excuse is, the story is still the same. I can see the manipulation trying to work its way with me, and I know that whatever I do, I should not give in. But regardless of that, my heart is still slightly shattered each and every time by the utter devastation in her pathetic voice. Sometimes I get this crazy (and I really mean crazy) urge to just go get her out of her bed, bring her into my room, cuddle her under my blankets and let her nurse. (Yeah, the nursing thing is particularly weird, especially since I’m not lactating at the moment.) I think the Super Nanny would tell me I need therapy.

No comments:

Amy's Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones