I never used to let my kids watch much television. They’d watch movies or Signing Time, sometimes, but that’s about it. Then I got sick. About a year ago. For weeks and weeks I could barely function. Finally, I resorted to television. And let me just say, it’s quite a comfort to know that I can sit my children in front of the television and not have to worry about them seeing anything remotely inappropriate. No Victoria’s Secret Semi Annual Sale. No Bob, the Enzyte guy. Nothing.
And for that, I thank you, PBS, for quality shows like Sesame Street, Curious George, Super Why (Grace actually started learning her letters from this show.), Dinosaur Train, Cyberchase, Martha Speaks, Arthur, and The Electric Company (yeah, I even like that one. One of my favorite clips is Jimmy Fallon's Pocket Full of H's.)
Then there’s QUBO. The good thing about QUBO: they have kids’ shows 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Shows my kids really enjoy, like Babar, Miss B.G., Jacob Two-Two, and especially Rescue Heroes. (That's the one Jacob really likes. He panics when a commercial comes on in the middle of the show because he's so worried it's over.) The BAD thing about QUBO: the infomercials.
Grace is thoroughly convinced that every product they advertise is a miracle. I can’t count the number of times Grace has yelled, “Mom! You Have To Come See This!” Some of her favorites: Moon Sand, Pixos, Fun Slides (the carpet skates), Bumpits, InStyler (the rotating curling iron), Perfect Brownie Pan, Touch N Brush, Bendaroos (we actually got her these for Christmas last year), and the latest, Pillow Pets (It’s a pillow. It’s a pet. It’s a Pillow Pet!).
There’s a part of the ad that addresses moms. Grace franticly tries to get my attention, “Mom! They’re talking to you!” Sometimes she just quotes parts of the ad. “Kids of all ages love their Pillow Pets!” “P.J.’s fit right inside!” “They’re even machine washable!” (That’s my favorite because Grace knows it’s something I’d like.) “All it takes is one hug and your child will FALL IN LOVE with their Pillow Pet!” “Pillow Pets make the perfect $20 gift!”
The saddest thing about it is that showing the ad to my kid is the best way to get me to buy the product. There’s no way I’d think of buying anything they advertise if Grace didn’t get so excited about it and ask for it every single time the ad airs.
Thank goodness for the statement at the end of most of the infomercials that says, “Must be 18 years old to order.” When she hears that, Grace gets so disappointed. “Ah! No fair! You have to be 18?!?!”
The joys of television.







No comments:
Post a Comment